Saturday, September 11, 2010

Secret Single Shopping Behavior

The title of this comes from an episode of Sex and the City; Carrie confesses that since Aidan moved in with her, she's missing her Secret Single Behavior, including spreading jelly on saltines and eating them standing up at the counter. Sometimes it seems like my whole life is Secret Single Behaviors, but the one that came to my mind today was my Secret Single Shopping Behavior.

I got paid yesterday, so today I went shopping. Woohoo! First of all, let me confess that I am totally shallow--shopping makes me happy. REALLY happy. My friend once asked me what I was on when I called her immediately after buying three pairs of shoes. Screw occupational therapy, give me retail therapy anyday.

The one thing, though, is that I don't really like shopping with other people. I mean, I'll go to H&M or DSW with my girlies, but more often than not, I go alone. I tend to get self-conscious about my shopping style and/or what I buy--yes, I can be insecure about ANYTHING, it's a really great quality I possess--and I kind of feel like I don't want anyone to be exposed to my weirdness. I was reminded of this when I got in my car today after my three hour shopping marathon. Let me tell you what I buy at Target (one of four stores I went to--I'll spare you the other stores to preserve some sort of an image) to make myself happy. Three collage picture frames, cat litter, body lotion, a bra, a new water bottle (to use while I soak my other water bottle in bleach to prevent mold, true story), a new yoga mat (I learned the hard way that yoga mats have an irresistible texture for cats looking to sharpen their claws), and Frizz Ease smoothing serum. I unloaded these treasures into my trunk, got in the driver's seat, and turned on the car. Miley Cyrus's Party in the USA came on the radio right as I turned the key, and I made the following noises: "Oooooh, yay!!"

This, I quickly realized, is Secret Single Shopping Behavior. Buying a crazy random assortment of things and being so excited about it I get pumped about singing along with Hannah Montana.

So I know that if I ever live with my boyfriend or get married, they will see everything I buy, and if it's the right person, he will love me anyway. On the other hand, shopping will always be on my list of things I'd like my partner to never have to see me do, along with such lovely moments as clipping my toenails or organizing my tampons. Because I still think that, especially when it comes to me and my habits, love means never having to say "let's go shopping."

No comments:

Post a Comment